When you were 18 years old, going to college was all about freedom, decorating your dorm room, parties, and sleeping till noon. These days, whether it’s the random gray hairs you’ve seen lately or the fact that you can’t remember the last time you slept till noon, we both know you’re not 18 anymore. So what’s it like to be an adult in college? As an adult going to college you have different concerns such as:
- Does the school have a daycare program?
- How much will going to college cost me?
- Does the school have special housing for adult students?
- What is the teacher-student ratio?
- How many years will it take me to complete this degree?
- Does the school offer evening or online courses?
It is important to write down the concerns you have as an adult student. This way you can contact the school with these questions. Or you can check out their website for information such as student housing. As an adult student, it is important to decide what you want from your education. And then go after it.
After you’ve figured out what questions you have about going to college, there’s one more step. Here’s what you should do once you get there to make your college experience the best it can be.
- Make friends with classmates
- Connect with your professor
- Keep on track with your schoolwork
- Get a lot of rest before exams
- Make study groups
- Make goals for yourself
It’s important to have a picture of what going to college will look like. We’ve already discussed how the picture is different for an 18 year old student. But it’s time to make your own picture. You’re the artist; create the world you want to live in. This is a new journey, allow yourself to enjoy it!